POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why doesn't PovRay support Obj files? : Why doesn't PovRay support Obj files? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Why doesn't PovRay support Obj files?
From: ShiJie
Date: 31 Oct 2004 13:40:00
Message: <web.4185306d883f573b174727610@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I was wondering. Why doesn't PovRay support .obj files (to import in the
scenes), I am actually not certain if it really doesn't. But currently when
I make a 3D model that requires a modeller and when I try saving it as
..pov, I see how big the file becomes as compared to .obj. Since the .pov
are text-based this will naturally be always bigger. It is indeed efficient
if I can work with a more compressed file (as I will usually not need to
alter the object within povray, at most I will put a texture but this does
not require me to edit the output obj file). So how is this question
answered? "Why doesn't PovRay support Obj file, or any other compressed
form of graphic model?"

Sincerely,
Jose Capco