POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Circular Helix : Re: Circular Helix Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Circular Helix
From: Renderdog
Date: 27 Oct 2004 16:20:01
Message: <web.418002674c4748cb250c7b0b0@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> I actually had no idea that the helical torus could be used to create a
> circular helix. When I was developing that tutorial I experimented with
> lots of different values but never happened to stumble on a set that
> worked that way.

It took a lot of trial and error. Of course, I now have no memory
of what all the variables do, but I do have this commented code,
(for the first variable in each line). Not sure if they mean anything.

f_helical_torus(x,y,z, 100, 60, 2,
1.0, 1,      //  scale's the windings outward 0 = tube?
0.5,          //  negative minor radius
0.25, 1, 1.0, 0)   //  Inverse scales windings along circumference
          }

Mike, I'd like to thank you for your incredible isosurface tutorial,
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/index.htm

It's an amazing resource I've used many times. I live in fear for
the day it disappears!

Thanks,
Mark