POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: Noob: Texture rendering as a single color : Re: Noob: Texture rendering as a single color Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:11:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noob: Texture rendering as a single color
From: Barton Bosch
Date: 22 Oct 2004 01:10:00
Message: <web.417894c47b3a0cc3e5c79a730@news.povray.org>
Ok, I'll breach etiqutte and reply to my own post, <g>.  I've been doing
some serious RtFMing for the last couple of days and I managed to figure
this one out.

The problem here is that it is impossible to use textures more complex than
simple colors without a UV map (for fellow noobs this is the translation of
3D coordinates to 2D space, hence u, v as in u, v, x, y, z).  It is
possible to do this in PoseRay though the interface implementation isn't
especially intuitive.  On the Geometry - UV tab there is a drop down
window with 5 options for remapping the UV coordinates.  Apparently 'cubic'
is usually best for creating a new UV map.  After selecting the type of UV
map, click the update button (near the upper left corner) and the map will
be generated.

Once this is done the UV coordinates will be added when the .obj or .pov
files are exported and complex textures can be used with your mesh model.
Happy 3Ding.

Ciao,

Barton