POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cel rendering in POV3.6? : Re: Cel rendering in POV3.6? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cel rendering in POV3.6?
From: Evil Dr Ganymede
Date: 12 Oct 2004 03:00:00
Message: <web.416b808d69de829353a8f6120@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOT_THISsibafi> wrote:
> Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:
> > Is there a way to "cel render" in POVray 3.6 (even if with an add-on)? Say,
> > perhaps using the Quality setting?
>
> I'm not familiar with the term "cel render". Could you describe what
> that means or what it should do?

Cel rendering is a 3D rendering that looks like what you see in cartoons.
Not sure exactly what makes it like that, I think it's the use of blocks of
solid colour throughout the scene rather than a fade from one to another -
especially from light to shadow. (I think Futurama uses this method to
render the Planet Express ship?)

So given that people are pointing to add-ons to do this, I presume there
isn't a way in POVRay itself to do this?