POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I finally found the secret behind Wings3D and UVmapping : I finally found the secret behind Wings3D and UVmapping Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  I finally found the secret behind Wings3D and UVmapping
From: tommy
Date: 29 Sep 2004 09:10:01
Message: <web.415ab3791e342fe2a472d3920@news.povray.org>
Hi,

As most POVusers, I looked at the last render from Gilles Tran and its
mini-cooper made in Wings3D.  In fact, if you read the code source, you
will notice that almost everything is made using this modeller (with
UVmapping and bumpmapping).  Then, I went to the website of Jaime Vives
Piqueres, just to see new renders.  He is also using the Wings3D (the one
of this office is full of small modelled objects).

I had a very old version of the application and always though that Wings3D
was doing the same than Spatch or Hamapatch. I always had difficulties with
Spatch (create shape, few export possibilities, use of other app such as
UVmapper, etc...).  So I decided to go a bit further and some search on
Google to learn what Wings3D can do...  And it can do a lot (modelling and
uvmapping); and associated with Poseray, I can now create object within a
minute.

For those who like me had already played a bit with UVmapping (using Gilles
tutorial) using SPatch and UVmapper, then I recommend you to visit this
website, it has great tutorial on how to make basic objects in Wings3D
(screw, dice, pen, fork, spoon) with full covering of the UVmapping (in the
dice tutorial). And now EVERYTHING is CLEAR to me !!

Here is the link, enjoy
http://homepage.mac.com/ycarry/Wings/index.html
(note that to use the magnet tools, you should make sure that in the
preferences, you have set advance mode, then press on ALT everytime you
need to do an action using the magnet tools)

Tommy - Kenya