POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Extremely inept use of photons. (Help requested) : Re: Extremely inept use of photons. (Help requested) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extremely inept use of photons. (Help requested)
From: dan B hentschel
Date: 28 Sep 2004 10:25:01
Message: <web.41597419aab70630a3fcf12a0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure it's the "area_light" part of your light_source settings.
> > Get rid of that, and it should look pretty good.  I guess this isn't a
> bug,
> > because it's in the documentation.  I'm not aware of any way around it,
> > other than getting rid of "area_light".
> >
> > You can still use an area_light in your light_source block, but it seems
> > work better if you leave it out of the photon block.
>
> In addition to that, 1.000.000 photons for an area-light is an extremely
> small amount. I much prefer to use spacing instead of count, and just reduce
> the spacing until I get the desired quality.
>
> --
> "Tim Nikias v2.0"
> Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

So to clarify, should I take out the "area_light" AND increase the number of
photons? Or should I increase the number of photons if I decide to leave
the "area_light" specification in the photon {} block? I did a very small,
quick render with the area_light removed, but nothing else changed, and it
looks a lot better. I am currently in the middle of a higher-quality render
so I can really get a good look at the effect. It should be done sometime
tomorrow, I hope, and then I can evaluate what else needs to be done.
Thanks for the suggestions.

 - dan B hentschel