POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Toruses are making me cry. : Toruses are making me cry. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Toruses are making me cry.
From: Killroy Quartermaine
Date: 14 Sep 2004 13:50:01
Message: <web.41472f2053e2c7b754757f2d0@news.povray.org>
OK, so I'm trying to make a CSG object which will eventually be a base upon
which a glass ball sits. I figure a this torus sitting half on top of a
very short but wide cylinder will do the trick. Because I'm still a bit
shaky writing the scene code, I render after every step, but something
strange happens when I add the torus to the scene. It renders entirely
black.
this happens regardless of whether or not I'm  tossing it into a union with
the cylinder or not.

Here is the code I have written for the scene thus far:
#include "colors.inc"

camera {
        location <-2,1,-4>
        look_at <0,0,0>}

light_source { <4,2,-1> White
       }

plane {<0,1,0>, -1 pigment {checker Blue White}}
        cylinder {<0,-1,0>, <0,-.9,0> 2 pigment {White}}
        torus { 2, 1.9 pigment{White}}

Also, toruses bother me on another  level. every other primitive shape (is
that right? spheres and cones and whatnot... they're primitives?) seems to
require a location in their basic description, but toruses only want the
two float values, and spit errors at you if you want to include a vector
for them. Please, I realize that I'm a rank amateur here, but if someone
would help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'd really appreciate it.