POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: Howto create a light fading completely dark at distance? Scene attached : Re: Howto create a light fading completely dark at distance? Scene attached Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Howto create a light fading completely dark at distance? Scene attached
From: Icetoaster
Date: 31 Aug 2004 17:35:00
Message: <web.4134edd178966cd1546e776f0@news.povray.org>
I suppose this is caused by the fact, that the light source (latern) is
near the camera's position and there is not much light reflected
BACK TO THE VIEWER. Much more light is reflected from surfaces
vertikal to the viewer. I experimented with different fade_powers,
falloff and light intensity, but the floor was still too dark.

So a added a spotlight pointing from above vertical to the floor to
make it brighter.
This creates the fading light effect much better than the fading point
light.

However, you must take care, that the light cone of the spotlight does
not touch a pillar (a vertical surface facing the viewer), because
this destroys the illusion, that the light on the floor is produced
by a light source (the latern) near the viewer.
If the spotlight touches a pillar the viewer can see, that the light source
producing that sort of shadows cannot be the latern, but is coming from
above.

(Sorry my native language is not english).