POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial stuff with PovRAY? : Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY?
From: gonzo
Date: 11 Aug 2004 17:00:00
Message: <web.411a884c6ea4cf20a0c272b50@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:
<Snip>
> First of all - povray OUTPUT (not povray program itself). License say that
> one can whatever he wants with it (all images are property of scene file
> creator). Is PovRAY team/users/creators - rather heapy that it can be used
> in serious and/or commercial projects?

Why not? Output is the result of the user's creative input, why should the
developer have a say in its usage?  That's like saying a letter I create in
M$ Word needs to be approved by M$ before I can send it.

<Snip>
> For example - I was hoping that perhaps I will have chance to make a 3d
> editor my self some day. If my 2d house-planning software would be more
> closely integrated to PovRAY (it will be quite close anyway, in the 3D
> visualization part, but such small problems like not putting Pov on same CD
> can result in more or less decrease of product remunerate and/or my
> position in job with leads to lover budget with this project related in
> some way to povray).

So basically you are upset because under the license you cannot make some
money you hoped to make on someone else's work. I suspect the license is
there at least partly for that reason.

<Snip>
> projects like Blender create software fundation, get lots of money from UE
> (AFAIK) and therefore can develope much quicker also greate software.

As is their right... but POV team also has right to develop as they see fit.

<Snip>
> Is blocking usage of PovRay renderer a good thing to do?
> AFAIK there are some legal problems, if we would perhaps will someday to
> change pov license to gave it better chances to expand and be known and
> usefull software - like Apache, Linux, GCC

I find it quite useful as is.

<Snip>
> and realy working togeather can bring better profits for everyone :)

However, profit may not be the primary motivation for everyone.  Looking at
the history, usage and distribution of POV tends to make me think that
contributing to knowledge, and creating something of true quality that is
freely available to further advance that knowledge and distribute it are
strong motivators to the developers.  I have certainly learned a lot just
using it.

This is not intended in any way as attacking you for your endeavor, by all
means try to do what you can to realize your talents to make a living. As I
am not a developer I usually avoid license discussions, but the number of
posts regarding your endeavor, most of which seem to indicate a certain
degree of annoyance and impatience with the development team because they
did not respond to your requests in a manner and timing to your liking,
drew me into contributing my .02 cents.

I think that much of your frustration would have been eliminated had you
simply made your license inquiries prior to proposing your project to the
client rather than after. It's always an easier path when you have a
project that needs only the customer's yea or nay to proceed, rather than
then having to work out critical details in midstream.

My thanks to the POV team for their work and their product.

RG