POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: povray 3.6 make error: problem solved : Re: povray 3.6 make error: problem solved Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.6 make error: problem solved
From: Tim F
Date: 29 Jul 2004 05:05:00
Message: <web.4108bd08333fb352300017f40@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:

>  So, setting e.g. CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH with a "." is surely a
> mistake that should be avoided at all costs.

Thanks for setting me straight on this, and I guess I should explain how I
ended up breaking stuff, since I think its a common problem.  I have in my
..bash_profile:

export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=${CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH}:/dir/to/add:/another/one

which is done to prevent overwriting any formerly set CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH,
but has the side effect of adding "." to CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH if it *isn't*
set. I think many people do this, and perhaps without realizing how it
affects compiler behavior (like me).  I guess I could/should use something
like:

CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=${CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH:+"$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH:"}/dir/to/add
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

but its a bit of hack.  Surprisingly, this is the first time it actually
borked up a compile attempt...

Regards,
Tim