POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Ellipsoid intersection : Re: Ellipsoid intersection Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:30:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ellipsoid intersection
From: Nigglefish
Date: 27 Jul 2004 13:05:00
Message: <web.41068ae8cea60bd739f528b60@news.povray.org>
Hehe I agree, my questions were very general.

I was fairly sure it wasn't my code, but something I was missing
conceptually. And that's what it was... I've solved the problem at last
(it's only 3am). I was using the same transform for directions and normals,
when what I really needed was a transposed, inverted transformation for the
normals. For many cases the standard and transposed inverse transformation
were the same which didn't help me work out what was happening at all. I
finally started thinking about normals and how they behave when non-uniform
scaled (I have about a million scribbled triangles in front of me) and it
all fitted into place.

My renders are looking the same as the same scenes in POV-Ray again, which
is my benchmark of success. Makes me sooo proud! Thanks for your fast
reply! Next time I will try to have more direct questions and less babble
;)