POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fog and media (once again...) : Fog and media (once again...) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:12:06 EDT (-0400)
  Fog and media (once again...)
From: arbitrary77
Date: 19 Jul 2004 16:50:00
Message: <web.40fc3381157e6158e478aea0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I've found some older posts about this problem, but no solution so far, and
it's really starting to annoy me. It doesn't seem to be a known bug or
limitation, as far as I could find out. Anyway, here's the problem (using
3.6.0.icl8.win32):

I have a scene with fog, and a hollow transparent container object
containing a media. But strangely enough, the otherwise completely
invisible container object is still casting a shadow, and it only happens
when there is fog. I added a small test scene which shows the problem.

Of course I could make the container "no_shadow", but then the scattering
media won't be shaded correctly any more, and it won't cast any shadow at
all. Using a media fog is slow and looks even worse because of the
intersecting media. A low ground fog, or a ground fog in the z direction is
no option either, because I'd really like the media objects to be affected
by the fog, at a close distance.

Any explanations or ideas?

--

#include "colors.inc"

camera {
  perspective angle 50
  location <0,1,0>
  right x*(image_width/image_height)
  look_at <0,1,1>
}

plane { y, 0 pigment { checker color rgb 1 color rgb 0.95 } }

sphere {
  <0,0,0> 1
  pigment { Clear } hollow
  interior { media { scattering { 1 3 } density { spherical scale 1/3 } } }
  scale <2,0.5,2> translate <0, 2, 8>
}

fog { distance 20 color rgbf<0.7,0.7,0.7,0> }

light_source { <500,1000,-1000> color rgb 1 }