POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : bug in POV 3.6, possibly related to macro processing : Re: bug in POV 3.6, possibly related to macro processing Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bug in POV 3.6, possibly related to macro processing
From: Rob Wieringa
Date: 7 Jul 2004 02:25:00
Message: <web.40eb96c2f9573154bc37c6b0@news.povray.org>
> The fact that the result changes when you comment out that macro is of
> course not good but apart from that the code is way too large to try
> tracking down the problem (it's not only in size but also the very ugly
> mixture of variables and parameters with diffferent scopes).  You will
> need to simplify it first.
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Sim-POV,
> HCR-Edit and more: http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/
> Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____.//^>_*_<^/.______

Yes, I agree that the code is large and ugly. But I'm afraid that it is just
that complexity that causes the problems. Any attempt to simplify the code,
e.g. by adding globals in macros to the parameter list, expanding a macro,
or even adding a semicolon to an array declaration (I noticed that I didn't
provide those), changes the behaviour. At some points in the attempt to
simplify the code it simply hits an error condition, independent of the
presence of the first macro, so the demo effect is gone.

I'll try to do some more reduction, but really simple code you cannot
expect. All simple things work OK, as you might know.

Kind regards,
RobW