POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug on infinite objects counting? : Re: Bug on infinite objects counting? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug on infinite objects counting?
From: Leonardo
Date: 23 Jun 2004 13:50:00
Message: <web.40d9c252970f5f5527bbadf50@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> No, expected behavior that I think got actually documented somewhere in the
> 3.6 manual, but I don't recall where because this question came up before in
> these groups.
If it's documented, then certainly it's not a bug :P
Haven't readed the 3.6 docs yet

> and it simply cannot report what you
> think would be correct because that information cannot be determined for all
> objects anyway.

Why not? The primitive types are well classified into finite/infinite
The finiteness on the mathematical sense is not computable. I wouldn't be
surprised if I rendered a sphere or an ellipsoid with the Pov primitive
poly and it reported 1 infinite object. POV doesn't know it's a sphere - it
only knows it's a polynomial object, and those objects are handled like
infinite objects.

But if I rendered a sphere with the sphere primitive, why POV thinks it's an
infinite object??? Spheres can't be infinite... neither do boxes...
Would POV-Ray internally convert a sphere primitive into a poly primitive? I
don't think so...

I (still) can't understand it
When the source code comes available maybe I'll find out :)