POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : hemisphere : Re: hemisphere Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hemisphere
From: 387
Date: 21 Jun 2004 11:52:01
Message: <web.40d268a619bfb51f69cbdc8c0@news.povray.org>
Im not too sure about bounding objects, but in the case of a difference from
a sphere it makes sense that a planar difference is more efficient than a
boxed difference.
This is because the plane only has 1 component; that is...plane exists if
y>0 and plane doesn't exist if y<0. So when cutting it out of a sphere only
one component of the sphere needs to be checked, in this case the y
component.
For a box; the sphere needs to be checked against all 3 components <x,y,z>.
Is this right?

387