POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Punching a hole in a height field : Re: Punching a hole in a height field Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Punching a hole in a height field
From: gil
Date: 27 May 2004 09:45:00
Message: <web.40b5ef9eb88e3b7d18134edd0@news.povray.org>
"gil" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I have a height field I'm using as a mountain from the outside, and a cave
> from the inside.
>
> What I want to do is punch a hole in the heightfield so I can stand inside
> and look out, or vice-versa.
>
> I tried
> #declare mountain = difference
> {
>    object <the height field>
>    object <a box that spans the skin of the height field>
> }
>
> but I don't seem to be able to see beyond the skin of the box, which I can
> see projecting into the cave.
>
> What am I doing wrong??

Well.... I answered it myself.  I made the box pigment {rgbt<1,0,0,1>}. I
now have a tunnel through from inside to outside.

But, in a totally different example, if I'd taken a box, and drilled through
it with a cylinder ie difference{box{} cylinder{}}, I wouldn't have had to
make the cylinder transparent.

Why?