POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bending isosurface functions : Bending isosurface functions Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Bending isosurface functions
From: nomail
Date: 26 May 2004 09:45:00
Message: <web.40b49ec5ed899368e1a5e5d0@news.povray.org>
I tried many ways to bend a GSG object. The only possibility was Chris
Colefax's object bender. But the you have to set the quality that high,
that rendering takes too much time for an animation.
Now I'm looking for a mathematical way to bend an isosurface function. As
example you can made a torus with a cylinder. That would be stupid, but it
is an example.

When you want to translate an function 7 units along the x-axis, you have to
write function(x-7,y,z), not function(x+7,y,z). Thats the point: I have a
transformation to bend an object, but it is the wrong way:
xnew = cos(x/radius)*(radius+z)
znew = sin(x/radius)*(radius+z)
Solving to x and z gives a stupid result, becaus sin and cos have infinite
solutions.

Do you now any other ways to bend an Isosurface object?