POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : linux recompile/configure/install povray A PAYING GIG!!!!! : Re: linux recompile/configure/install povray A PAYING GIG!!!!! Server Time
3 Jul 2024 12:28:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: linux recompile/configure/install povray A PAYING GIG!!!!!
From: 3dtrue
Date: 22 May 2004 03:35:01
Message: <web.40af01fc9d7aa2c94700678c0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > Why? so i can run povray from my crontab. Once an hour, as root.
> > I heard thru these boards i needed to recompile povray without the display
> > option or else i cannot do what i want to. I recompiled povray. and rebuilt
> > it successfully without the x display option.
>
>  The main problem with 3.50c and crontab comes from a little bug which
> has been discussed last year.  I guess you found the thread already:
> http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/%3C3ee306aa%241%40news.povray.org%3E/
>  So you indeed need to recompile POV-Ray in order to add the bugfix.
> In principle you do not need to change anything else.  The configure --without-x
> option does not work in this release.
>  You don't need to uninstall the binary package before compiling and
> reinstalling the source -- well, in principle (I've never tried actually).
> Moreover there is indeed no uninstall option.  If that is a problem though,
> you can remove all files manually:
>
> /usr/local/bin/povray
> /usr/local/share/povray-3.5/*
> /usr/local/share/doc/povray-3.5/*
> /usr/local/etc/povray.*
>
>  (I'm not sure whether the directories are versioned as above, but
> their location should be correct for a standard installation).
>
> > Now, any attempt to run povray my new image file is created but empty. Also,
> > in my ssh window, i only see a quick flash of povray text. Ending most of
> > the time with Output Options.
>
>  I would bet $50 that you screwed up the code in unix.cpp  ;-)
>
>  An alternative to recompiling the 3.50c sources will be to use the
> binary for 3.6 RC1 that will appear at some point (if you can wait till
> it is released -- hopefully soon).
>
>  - NC

Wow, your advice is very helpful and generous.
I uninstalled manually.
I also started over with a fresh copy of the source code but when i fixed
the bug as described in unix.cpp. My make fails.
Starting failure is at the unix function XDisplay not present.

I  may try again though. I did manage however to uninstall manually as you
suggested. Then i went back to the original non source version and
installed that. I am back to where i started from which in my case, is
progress :)

Thanks for the advice.
James