POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rotations not working as expected : Re: Rotations not working as expected Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:12:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rotations not working as expected
From: Alex Bame
Date: 20 May 2004 14:55:00
Message: <web.40acfe82225a08e5b4980b800@news.povray.org>
Another excellent example, thank you Marvin :)

I can see that I'll have a lot to learn while playing with POV-Ray over the
summer!

Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> My trig doesn't seem up to calculating alpha, so I got POV to do all the
> hard work for me.

I got it worked out this morning, in case your're curious it winds up being
acos(cos(theta)/sqrt(1-1/2*pow(sin(theta),2))).  Had to use a right
triangle on the face of the pyramid using one of the rods and a line
dropped from halfway along the spring to the orgin (the angle between the
line coming up from the origin and the spring is a right angle since we're
bisecting an isocoles triangle) and another right triangle using the line
up from the origin along the face of the pyramid, the Y axis, and a
horizontal line connecting the two.

I worked out the angle since I'm doing this animation for a paper in my math
class, otherwise I would have definately done it your way :)

Thanks to the both of you for your suggestions, my computer is currently
chugging out 1000 frames using values of theta and phi from a numerical
solver.  I'd like to refrence the both of you in my paper for your help,
provided that you don't have any objections.  The paper (and the animation)
should be up on the web by the end of tomorrow if you'd like to see either.