POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds Don't Cast Shadow : Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow
From: CFM
Date: 12 May 2004 15:15:00
Message: <web.40a276f4f48fa4edf438a2280@news.povray.org>
>  You can't do it with a sky_sphere, since by definition it is infinite
> and therefore behind the clouds. So what you do is use a regular
> sphere with a large radius and your cloud texture with the blue parts
> replaced by a transparent color. Then all you have to do is put your
> light source further out. Something like that (the texture will almpst
> certainly require tweaking):
>
> sky_sphere {
> ~  pigment {
> ~    gradient y
> ~    color_map {
> ~      [0,.002 color rgb<1,.2,0>
> ~              color rgb<1,.2,0>]
> ~      [.002,.2 color rgb<.8,.1,0>
> ~               color rgb<.2,.2,.3>]
> ~    }
> ~  }
> ~  scale 2
> ~  translate -1
> }
> sphere {
> ~  0, 1000000000
> ~  pigment {
> ~  bozo
> ~  turbulence .65
> ~  octaves 6
> ~  omega .7
> ~  lambda 2
> ~  color_map {
> ~    [0,.1 color rgb<.5,.5,.5>
> ~          color rgb<.75,.75,.75>]
> ~    [.1,.5 color rgb<1,1,1>
> ~           color rgbt<1,1,1,1>]
> ~    [.5,1  color rgbt<1,1,1,1>
> ~           color rgbt<1,1,1,1>]
> ~  }
> ~  scale .1
> ~  }
> ~  rotate -135*x
> }
>
> - --
> ******************************
> *      Jerome M. Berger      *
> * mailto:jbe### [at] ifrancecom *
> *  http://jeberger.free.fr/  *

OK, I created a very large sphere with a pigment and color_map in many
similarities to yours. Unfortunately, the clouds always show up as dark.
What tweaking is necessary to lighten them up?

And I realize that my tutorial, which I downloaded with POV-ray for Windows
v3.5 told me something that seemed a bit off, but now I realize that the
tutorial meant a literal "sphere," not a "skysphere."