POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray & KD-Trees : Re: POV-Ray & KD-Trees Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:37:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray & KD-Trees
From: Daniel Neilson
Date: 28 Apr 2004 16:15:00
Message: <web.40900fda66fba3427cd21ec50@news.povray.org>
> I miss a scene making a lot of use of meshes.  Since they have their own
> bounding hierarchies in standard POV it would be interesing how well
> your version handles this.

 Unfortunately, I don't have many scenes that have large meshes in them with
which I could test this. One quick/simple test that I had done, but not put
on the web page, was a rendering of a scene containing two Venus De Milo's
(http://objects.povworld.org/cgi-bin/dl.cgi?venus.zip). Rendering an
800x600 image with +A0.3 took 90s with POV's BVH (using vista & light
buffers), and 83s with the kd-tree. Unfortunately, though, that mesh of the
Venus only has about 5000 triangles. I imagine that the difference would be
quite more pronounced with a bigger mesh.

 If anyone can point me to a site that contains large meshes in .pov format,
I'd be glad to test a few.

> >  Should anyone be interested in my kd-tree code, then drop me a line. I'll
> > see what I can do about pulling the kd-tree stuff out of my codebase and
> > reinserting it into stock POV-Ray.
>
> Sure i'd be interested.

 Okay, I'll let you know when I've finished pulling it out then.

> BTW on your page you write that POV-Ray does not support irradiance
> caching and motion blur.  The former is available in official POV for a
> long time and motion blur is available in MegaPOV 0.x (and will be in
> version 1.1).

 That's great news, on both fronts. I'll admit that I haven't looked too
heavily at the rendering algorithm that POV-Ray is using quite yet. But
from my initial looks through the code base I didn't see anything that
seemed to be related to irradiance caching. Do you know what the irradiance
cache is called within the POV-Ray codebase? A grep for "irradiance" finds
nothing...

-Daniel Neilson