POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray & KD-Trees : POV-Ray & KD-Trees Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:08:21 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray & KD-Trees
From: Daniel Neilson
Date: 28 Apr 2004 15:00:01
Message: <web.408ffeeb8181bfe17cd21ec50@news.povray.org>
Greetings,
 I've been doing some experimenting recently with replacing POV-Ray's
bounding volume heirarchy with a kd-tree. It seems as though using a
kd-tree instead of a BVH can yield a non-trivial performance gain in some
scenes. Additionally, in scenes that the kd-tree does not grant a
performance improvement it still performs at the same level as the BVH --
with one exception (scenes for which a sensible kd-tree cannot be
constructed; ie: scenes in which almost every object intersects every other
object).

 If anyone's interested in seeing the results of my experimentation, you can
see them at: http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~dneilson/raytracing.html

 Should anyone be interested in my kd-tree code, then drop me a line. I'll
see what I can do about pulling the kd-tree stuff out of my codebase and
reinserting it into stock POV-Ray.

-Daniel Neilson