POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Need lots of help. : Re: Need lots of help. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need lots of help.
From: Bleeding Soul
Date: 18 Apr 2004 21:05:00
Message: <web.408325a6cd0bce77a8ee0040@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> Francois Labreque wrote:
>
> > The best way is to find a project to work on ( modelling your room,
> > summer cottage, dream car, a cartoon character, etc...)  and post your
> > progress in povray.binaries.images or specific questions about problems
> > you're having here.   Lots of people will gladly offer help.
> >
> What Francois said.  There is simply too much there to try and organize
> a comprehensive introductory treatment.  You need to isolate different
> technical areas and attack them one at a time:  Texturing, modelling,
> lighting, scene building.  Most beginners are seduced by the problem of
> modelling.  At least I was and still am.  Real sophistication and
> realism comes with mastery of texturing and lighting.  Many people work
> toward the final achievement of entire scenes.  But this ability
> requires that technical building-block skills be acquired first.
>
> Secondly you need to isolate a subject or interest.  This can be
> anything from building detailed scifi scenes to modelling mathematical
> equations to nature or humanist themes.  You can pursue the classic
> genres of still life, landscape, or figure representation.  The interest
> can involve a highly specialized technical area of POV such as using
> media and lighting to obtain the effects of sky and atmosphere in the
> general case. Those interested in advanced Art often begin from a
> critique of the medium itself.  Raytracing is peculiar in that it
> involves three dimensional (though virtual) modelling in order to
> achieve a two dimensional result. The possibilities are as endless as
> the world in which we live.
>
> I am sure if you want to open discussions on any of these topics you
> will get a lively response.

See, that's a problem. I honestly don't know (nor really want) to focus on
one aspect. I just want to be able to do alot of things. I mostly do 3D art
for webpages, bands, some local businesses etc. etc., and I would like to
be able to do anything they'd ask. For the most part I used (ught oh...)
Photoshop, and 3D studio, but as good of programs as they are, POV jsut
seems to be better in that you can do pratically anything you'd like, as
long as you know what you want to see, and how to achieve that.
I guess I could always just post on the fore-mentioned link for help, but I
already know that I'd be posting there way to often for my own good really.
That and I never know how to explain what I'm going for.
Anyway, I guess it is kinda dumb, cos it seems that it'd be near impossible
to be a jack of all POV trades, but I would still love to be able to do
most of them...thanks
Ray