POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What is the most marketable skill? : Re: What is the most marketable skill? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the most marketable skill?
From: incognito
Date: 7 Jan 2004 17:30:02
Message: <web.3ffc875bb1bde5e1858973900@news.povray.org>
Dennis Miller wrote:
>Maya or SoftImage are the two biggest tools in the animation industry, if
>that is what you are after. Also get some programming skills so you can
>extend the features of either package. Can't recommend which languages ...
>
>D.
>
>"incognito" <nomail[at]nomail> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some of you may have read my earlier post from before the holidays about
>> looking for work related to ray tracing (i.e. rendering scenes) and
>related
>> tools.
>>
>> I was wondering what is the single most marketable skill/tool in this
>field
>> you would recommend seeking training in?
>>
>> I just found out today that I am eligible for some financial aid towards
>> learning a new skill from the dept of employment security in my state (in
>> the U.S.). The amount alloted is relatively generous but there is a time
>> limit so I need to figure this out soon. I would like to apply the money
>> a course that would improve my resume as far as graphics is concerned. I
>> already know some OpenGL (creating 3d sci visualization apps), POV-ray and
>> have a BSCS degree w/a couple yrs of non-graphics related work experience
>> as a SW developer. Hopefully, this gives you an idea of my background but
>> let me know in case you need more info. (Also, the course cannot be taken
>> online).
>>
>> Any suggestions on what a good skill to learn would be?
>>
>> Thank you very much!

I understand that Maya is a pretty expensive tool so I was wondering if you
know any compressed courses that would train in it? Unfortunately, in this
program, you can't get money to purchase SW and train yourself
independently, it has to be a program. It has to be a full time program too
not part time.

Not sure what you mean by programming langs, when I program in OpenGL, I use
C.
I also know Java.