POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow : Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:11:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow
From: Andrew Clinton
Date: 21 Dec 2003 22:05:01
Message: <web.3fe65e6134356787611ee4e60@news.povray.org>

>As a Rhino user I can tell that having to convert NURBS into POV-Ray is a
>handicap. One has to go through the entire model and fine-tune each part so
>that the whole thing doesn't end up in a 500 Mb mesh. UV mapping is often
>lost in the process, so it's necessary to remap the parts. And of course, a
>downsized polygonal mesh is less nice-looking than a native NURBS (or any
>other parametric surface in fact).

I am wondering, whether NURBS support is anywhere on the POV-team's current
agenda.  I've seen such a feature request come up before, and it seems like
such a generally useful modelling integration feature that I am surprised
that nobody has attacked it before.  From the posting by ingo, it does not
seem like it would be rocket science either.  I am asking because I am
considering this as an possible project (once I finish my current one, that
is :)

POV-Ray nurbs support with on-the-fly tessellation / cacheing... that would
be nice...

Andrew