POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another one--- film : Re: Another one--- film Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another one--- film
From: anidon
Date: 15 Dec 2003 17:40:01
Message: <web.3fde34b9740f305a9e850180@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <web.3fc49e08740f305a7ae47060[at]news.povray.org>,
> "Robert LaMarca" <rob### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
>> I may try using an orthographic camera in the place of the film.  If this
>> does not work as I need it to, my next question:
>>
>>  .. is there a way to put up a movie screen within the render.. which I
>> could then take an image of using a standard camera and grab that as an
>> output file...?
>
>If you can see the movie screen, it will be in the output image...but
>that's too obvious, and probably not what you're asking. There is no way
>to "grab" light projected on a surface as an image, short of pointing
>the camera at it.
>
>Please...rather than guessing at different ways that *might* work and
>asking if they are possible, why don't you just explain what you are
>trying to accomplish? It sounds like you are trying to do forward
>raytracing, where light is traced from the light sources, through the
>scene, and into the camera. This is technically possible, but quite
>infeasible: the number of rays required is simply too huge, and it takes
>an extreme amount of time to generate an image.
>
>Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
>POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
>http://tag.povray.org/

>I have previously used, about three years ago, the method suggested by Mr.Melly.  The
purpose was to show the method of operation of a hyperspectral camera. I generated in
POVRAY a sequence of 128 scene images representing the spectral output from the camera
and image mapped these onto a 'screen' representing the focal plane of the camera.  In
front of the screen was the animated optical system apparently creating the images.  A
complete swindle of course but very effective at explaining the method of operation of
the camera. The clock was the principal problem..arranging for the correct image to
appear in the correct sequence with the moving parts of the camera.  If you're
interested I could send you the movies and probably the *.pov files..if I can find
them.