POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRAY SPEED : POVRAY SPEED Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  POVRAY SPEED
From: m1j
Date: 1 Dec 2003 10:10:01
Message: <web.3fcb594380364ecf4e1f4eb10@news.povray.org>
I have been using POVRay for some time now. Started with it on the Amiga if
that helps with dates. Anyway I have a dual PIII 550 with 700M. I have us
of Lightwave 7.5.

I have been using lightwave for a while and have noticed that POVRay seems
just as fast if not faster on high quality full radiosity renderings.
Lightwave does render fast for low quality renderings where its hybred
system is in use. But even heavy raytracing slows it down. Lightwave claims
it uses both CPUs in my system. POVRay clearly states it does not. Now am I
seeing things correctly? Is povray that fast with its radiosity? Or even
its raytrace. I am useing the same models to render in both programs.
Anyone using lightwave lets me know very clearly that I must be off my
rocker to even sugjest that povray is as fast as lightwave. But I can't
help seeing what I am seeing.

Does anyone from the POV side know how POVRay on just one CPU can keep pace
with Lightwave using 2 CPUs?

No flames please! Good compliments to the POV team always expected though.

P.S. forgive any miss spells. I do not have a spell checker handy.