POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : BSP tree bounding patch : Re: BSP tree bounding patch Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BSP tree bounding patch
From: Andrew Clinton
Date: 29 Nov 2003 11:50:01
Message: <web.3fc8ce016b3b1e2c611ee4e60@news.povray.org>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:

>Test scene with about 120 CSG objects (only torus/box/cylinder and the
>like) rendered about 1 percent slower, however, while comsuming some
>kb more memory.

CSG seems poorly bounded by default.  Are you rotating or scaling the CSG?
If so, try a scene without these transformations and see if there is an
improvement.  Also try it with more objects (>1000).

>I have little clue of the details of your patch but
>maybe you could consider retaining the vista buffer because it is said
>to be cheap & fast.

Light/Vista buffers are too tightly integrated with the bounding box
hierarchy to be easily adapted for use with the BSP tree, at least for now.
 I'll need to give some more thought to how a screen space hierarchy could
benefit with the tree.  There are other things that will improve
performance more which I am going to try first (such as construct better
bounding boxes for csg).

Andrew