POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : BSP tree bounding patch : Re: BSP tree bounding patch Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BSP tree bounding patch
From: Andrew Clinton
Date: 28 Nov 2003 18:55:00
Message: <web.3fc7deb86b3b1e2c611ee4e60@news.povray.org>
Mael wrote:
>Hello again,
>
>I've compiled a version of povray3.5c with bsp-tree patch on a Fedora 1
>linux (gcc 3.3.2, and only added -mcpu=athlon-xp to the options). Tested
>with benchmark.pov. Not much differences in rendering time (slighty faster
>with BSP tree) but there is a change in the image , a small part at the
>left-bottom of the checkered vase have disappeared in the povray-bsp version

Hmmm, I tried rendering benchmark.pov yesterday at a low resolution and
didn't see any difference.  I'll try it again today a bit larger.

About the performance of this scene (and in general), benchmark.pov only
contains 157 objects (as I remember) which isn't really enough to exercise
the bounding code too much.  Also, it uses a bunch of other advanced
features that will eat away the rendering time.  When I get the patch to
work with some more object types, it may improve some more but I would not
expect spectacular improvements on an arbitrary scene.  The 70% improvement
was on an extremely isolated case.

It might be worth it to try on some IRTC scenes that have large numbers of
objects.  At this point I've only had the patience to try it on a few,
because most of the scenes I've downloaded don't render out of the box.
Perhaps some others who have successfully compiled it could give this a
try? :)

Andrew