POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing? : Re: What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing?
From: incognito
Date: 21 Nov 2003 22:15:01
Message: <web.3fbed40a3a0ec7876d556f1d0@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <web.3fbc34ce3a0ec787f4bb868a0[at]news.povray.org>,
> "incognito" <nomail[at]nomail> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I do. To be blunt, I'm not that young and have not had a geometry
>> course in several years...I have seen there are a couple books that might
>> address geometry for computer graphics in general, "Geometric Tools for
>> Computer Graphics" and "Computer Graphics Handbook: Geometry and
>> Mathematics" but only have the titles/authors and have not seen the books
>> in person to know what they cover. Unfortunately, the library system in my
>> area does not carry too many books on the subject for me to check out for
>> free before purchasing.
>>
>> Also, have not seen too many books on ray tracers either that are not the
>> type that teach you how to make your own (except the ones on Maya). I am
>> not interested in doing that and also have no guarantee of ever working
>> with Maya.
>
>Okay...without knowing more about what your level of knowledge is, it's
>going to be very hard to give any advice. The POV-Ray manual explains
>vectors and quite a bit of the math that will be useful in general scene
>building. You said a book "for ray tracing", which is why I suggested a
>book on ray tracers, but if you're interested in the math they use that
>is the best way to go. Making scenes in general really doesn't require a
>lot of math...if you have some specific problems, it would help to know
>what they are.

Thanks for the info.

I am confused by what you mean by the POV-ray manual. Is that help on the
GUI (in the beginning tutorial section)? I have seen this, however, I am
looking for a book (since that will show diagrams of the shapes) esp for
the ones I am not familiar with (spline based and polygon based). No, I
don't have specific problems and this is not an immediate need either.
Actually, the Web site given earlier by greybeard has been helpful too.

Thank you.