POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Gaussian blur (PSF) : Re: Gaussian blur (PSF) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gaussian blur (PSF)
From: Omega
Date: 19 Nov 2003 08:55:01
Message: <web.3fbb761a1a62f81dd18b58c00@news.povray.org>
>What previous post? I see a total of four threads started by you: the
>one about sinusoidal shadows, 16 bit output, normal patterns, and this
>thread.

In the sinusoidal shadow one.. it was said that true diffraction effect
cannot be achieved by PovRay.. that's what made me thought that it can't be
done..

>I'd start by shining a light through it using photons. However, this
>won't even come close to the same effect as blurring the image, so I
>wonder if it is what you are looking for...you really need to clearly
>state exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Ok..

What I'm trying to do is this:

I'm trying to simulate the lens effect that I can observe experimentally.

I grab pictures with a camera/lens assembly of a particular object. Since
the lens is not perfect, it has a transfer function, the point-spread
function (PSF) which causes high-intensity pixels to blur its surrounding
neighbors.

In order to revert the effect, it's been modeled as a convolution blur
(gaussian or more complex).

Since I'm trying to simulate reality, I'm trying fo find a way, in PovRay,
to generate this effect.

For now, I'm simulating the effect by doing a convolution with a
user-defined kernel on my "hand"-simulated images.

Since I'm relatively new to PovRay3.5, I don't really know how to do it.

Tell me if you need more info,
Thanks,
O.