POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Crash after 63 frames? : Re: Crash after 63 frames? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 20:35:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash after 63 frames?
From: Scott Gammans
Date: 31 Oct 2003 05:45:01
Message: <web.3fa23c90944a788685aba4bf0@news.povray.org>
OK, I am seeing the same pattern of behavior on MacMegaPOV that I've
observed on long-running Windows POV-Ray animation renders.

I started another animation series at frame 942 at 5:30 PM yesterday
afternoon, and the OS X System Activity monitor showed MacMegaPOV consuming
just under 600 MB of memory, which was about right for the scene file I'm
rendering. But at 11:42 PM on frame 971 (30 frames into the job), the
amount of memory being used by MacMegaPOV had *tripled* to 1.5 GB. And at
5:30 AM on frame 1000 (59 frames along), the memory in use by MacMegaPOV is
a whopping 2.05 GB, with nearly all of the physical memory on my
workstation (2.5 GB) in use.

At the current rate of frame completion, MMP should get to frame 1004 (the
63rd frame in this series) in about 40 minutes. I wonder if the program
stops
because it runs out of physical memory, which at the current rate of memory
leakage will almost certainly occur by that 63rd frame? I'll post a message
to let everyone know what happens (unlike the last time, this time I have
all output streams being directed to a file, so hopefully when MMP aborts
I'll have something tangible I can show you).