POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Crash after 63 frames? : Re: Crash after 63 frames? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 20:36:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash after 63 frames?
From: Scott Gammans
Date: 30 Oct 2003 18:10:01
Message: <web.3fa19968944a788685aba4bf0@news.povray.org>
Remco de Korte wrote:
>When working on a program that would continuously load images a similar
>(perhaps the same) problem occurred. I checked my code hundreds of times
>but couldn't find any error, then tried to eliminate all non related
>routines until finally I was left with a program that would only load an
>image file. When running for a long time it would slowly eat away
>Windows memory as was show with the resource monitor (or whatever it's
>called).
>There was nothing in my program I could change to avoid that (well, I
>found a solution, but that's not relevant here).
>
>So there may indeed be a memory leak occurring when you render
>animations with POVRay that need to load a lot of images.

Yes, that is exactly, EXACTLY the behavior I have seen in the past.

>The solution
>would probably be not to reload image maps for each scene but to keep
>them in memory.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by that? Is this a suggestion for
the POV-Ray developers for the next version of POV-Ray, or are you
suggestion a technique that I can implement using the SDL? And if it's the
latter, please provide a brief SDL example of what you are talking about.

Many thanks...