POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Reducing memory usage : Re: Reducing memory usage Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reducing memory usage
From: David Jaquay
Date: 30 Oct 2003 11:25:01
Message: <web.3fa13acabb9f7a075c5446640@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
>I am pretty sure if the observation is correct you can reduce the amount
>of memory shown by the windows task manager by rendering in several
>parts - i can't think of any advantage of this though.

My thinking was that if my machine has, say, 500MB extra RAM (combining real
and swap space, after the O/S and other stuff is loaded), and an image
takes 600MB RAM total to render, then I'm a bit hosed (w/o a RAM upgrade or
closing other stuff down).  But if I could render in two parts that each
take 400MB, then it's possible (with much swapping, perhaps).  It's my
understanding that as far as the O/S running out of memory, the value that
top or taskman reports actually does matter, regardless of how that memory
is divvied up inside a process.

Or am I way off base (a distinct possibility)?

Dave