POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Flower power : Re: Flower power Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flower power
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 23 Oct 2003 08:40:01
Message: <web.3f97cb44a022f3b88062416c0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
>In theory:
>
>http://mathworld.wolfram.com/StarrRose.html
>
>However, since they don't actually provide the equations for it, but
>simply assume you know how to derive it from the 2D calcs in:
>
>http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Rose.html

You can extend 2D polar functions to 3D in a variety of ways.  One is via
spherical products.

See:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/32476/

for a few examples.  I use Ingo's "param.inc" and turn everything into
meshes, since it's faster, but you could also use the "parametric" object
from POVRay.

I don't know if this will give you what you want, but it does give some
rather interesting "3D mathematical flowers."

Dave Matthews