POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : the trace function and toroidal objects : Re: the trace function and toroidal objects Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the trace function and toroidal objects
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 1 Oct 2003 12:25:00
Message: <web.3f7aff2c137049fc10dd5cfd0@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:
>I came very close to agreeing with you (except that I was using POV 3.5)
>My mistake was using  "trace(Shape,Q,P)" in the following code instead
>of "trace(Shape,Q,P-Q)".

Actually, I think, if you replace:

>    #declare P = vrotate(vrotate(<0,0.5,0>,A*z) + x*0.7, B*y);

with:

#declare P = vrotate(vrotate(<0,0.5,0>,A*z), B*y);

and then replace:

>    #declare T = trace(Shape,Q,P-Q);

with:

#declare T = trace(Shape,Q,P);

you don't need to subtract vectors. . . . (I think. . . .)

(By the way, thanks for this example.  Thanks to it, I believe that I
finally figured out how "trace" works.  It's funny how with certain
examples a light bulb goes on, and with others, well, I just sit in the
dark and stare at the code -- kind of hard to read that way. )

Dave Matthews