POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Forest : Re: Forest Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Forest
From: gonzo
Date: 17 Sep 2003 18:50:01
Message: <web.3f68e4c38d1c7be0a0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:
>Wasn't it mathfan who wrote:
<snip>
>>trees. Does anyone know how I can make simple trees that look realistic so
>>they can be used for my forest project?
<snip>
>Paul T Dawson once published a tree generator that created the tree as a
>single mesh, which renders very efficiently. It's then possible to
>#declare a small number of such trees, and then plant many copies of
>each of them with changes in scale. A simple scene containing 8000 trees
>takes 39 seconds (26 seconds to parse and 13 to trace).
>The trees aren't as realistic as Tomtree trees, but if you're planting
>large numbers of them, they can't all be close to the camera, so you
>could use Tomtree for the close ones and Meshtree for those further
>away.

Just what I did in this image:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/33124/
Except I used Gilles' Maketree for the foreground and meshtree for the
background.  Not exactly a forest, but quite fast using only three trees
rotated & scaled, and with the right textures they are quite acceptable.

>Unfortunately, Paul's website seems to have disappeared sometime since
>1996, and I can't seem to Google any online copies of meshtree.

Try http://www.netaxs.com/~ptdawson/ptdtree3.htm

RG