POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Editor problem in WinXP? : Re: Editor problem in WinXP? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Editor problem in WinXP?
From: Coby
Date: 29 Aug 2003 17:15:01
Message: <web.3f4fc041513fd9d0fc27fe3c0@news.povray.org>
Bob, thank you for responding quickly and offering a few ideas that I had
not considered. Unforunately, I have checked the items you mentioned and
the problem still exists.

Hughes, B. wrote:
>Is Render Priority at Normal? You only mentioned GUI Priority being Highest.

Render priority is at Lowest. Rendering runs fine, the lockups only occur in
the editing part. (Strange thing to say for a ray-tracing program... ;) )

>I use POV-Ray 3.5 on XP HE too, the only times I had that kind of thing
>happen was when a touchpad driver (notebook computer) was set in such a way
>that it wouldn't allow typing to regain focus quickly after some mouse

Well, it's good (for the general population) to hear that others are not
having problems when using XP.
My home XP computer is a laptop with touchpad, but at work is a regular USB
mouse.

>You could take a look at your XP program priorities by pressing
>Ctrl+Alt+Delete then going to the Processes section and right-clicking on
>POV-Ray there. I strongly suggest never to use Real Time, only Above Normal
>unless you like struggling to get focus elsewhere after doing so.

Set to Normal.

A weird thing: when I press ctrl-alt-delete in the middle of a seizure, the
computer has to wait until the freeze is overwith before bringing up the
new window; It seems like whatever's causing the lockup has a pretty good
grip on the system.

>Another thing, if you haven't heard of the typical suspect of cause for
>slowdowns, is the Indexing Service which keeps track of file data for
>Or, to delve deeper into that kind of thing and prevent it from automatic
>startup you can select the Services item and make changes (by
>double-clicking on item) from the list shown in the right window pane.

 I did not see anything suspicious here, but I'll look further into it.
There shouldn't be any strange services that I don't know about, but more
importantly they have never caused problems for any other applications.

>This is all a guess, of course, it could be video driver-related too, I
>suppose. Any combination of things, such as antivirus checking during file
>changes, etc. At least it doesn't sound like you have AutoSave on in POV
>since that should be a minimum of 1 minute per save.

   This was my initial guess, but autosave is off so there shouldn't be any
file changes.

   Well, thanks for the tips, I appreciate the help. I'll keep poking at it.