POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Editor problem in WinXP? : Editor problem in WinXP? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:51:51 EDT (-0400)
  Editor problem in WinXP?
From: Coby
Date: 28 Aug 2003 18:20:01
Message: <web.3f4e7ea7c38846cefc27fe3c0@news.povray.org>
I am having a problem when using the editor where everything locks up for a
few seconds in the middle of an editing operation like typing a few
characters or pasting something. This happens about every 10 seconds or so.
Nothing too consistent though, seems to depend on how much I am typing or
how quickly I am trying to paste, delete, etc.

The interesting thing is that I experience this behavior on my work machine
and a home machine, both of which use Windows XP (XP Home at home, XP Pro
at work), while another home machine running Windows ME does not; Editing
is smooth and lag-free as I have experienced for years of using the POV-Ray
editor. I believe all 3 machines are installed with the same, latest
version of Pov-Ray 3.5.

I have made sure the GUI Priority is set to highest and that GUI Extensions
are turned off. The environments of my home and work computers (other
running programs (though I have tried it plenty without any other
applications running at all) and installed programs in general) are quite
different, so I didn't think this was the cause.

Has anyone else noticed a problem like this when using the POV-Ray editor in
XP as opposed to other versions of Windows? Are there any things I am
overlooking like menu settings which could slow down the editor so
drastically? Any suggestions would be appreciated.