POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Mistery... The Turn of the Screw : Mistery... The Turn of the Screw Server Time
30 Apr 2024 17:50:08 EDT (-0400)
  Mistery... The Turn of the Screw
From: ziotom
Date: 9 Aug 2003 14:50:01
Message: <web.3f35422887be45158a63411c0@news.povray.org>
After a long thought I decided not to place too much description about the
"meaning" of my image in the provided text file.  Now I am very curious if
somebody did "discover" my interpretation of the theme.  In the last round
I enjoyed a lot reading how people interpreted "Non nobis sed Tibi Domine".
 I found with pleasure and surprise that different interpretations from my
original one fitted the image in an equally satisfying way.  Here follows
my explanation.

    The most important point is the characters' placement in the scene.  I
said in the text file that the book implicitly suggests the ghost is not
real but a projection of the lady's crazy mind.  Because of this, it would
have been nonsense to place a "real" spirit fluctuating in the middle of
the image.  The use of a simple indistinct shadow cast on the wall could
suggest the lady is simply saying: "Keep silent darling or you'll wake the
boy".  An image like this should not suggest immediately a sense of
mistery.  It should be something which grows up slowly while you learn more
about the story behind it, exactly like the book.

    Since in the novel there is no evidence that the boy does see the ghost,
I rejected my first idea to cast the shadow on the floor right in front of
the staircase: in that case its presence could have been felt by the boy
sleeping (since if he woke he would be able to see it).  With the current
geometry, the wall with the shadow is completely hidden from the boy's
sight.

    The use of colors has a specific meaning too.  I already discussed about
the hints placed in the image that refers to the lady's madness. But I
wanted not to exclude the possibility the boy is really in danger, in order
to recreate the original atmosphere of the story.  To achieve this, I used
warm color for the most part of the image, and a cold blue light both to
cast the ghost's shadow on the wall and to lit the boy's room.  This should
suggest the possibility that the ghost is already corrupting the boy.  The
heavy bed curtains and the huge wireframe at the bed's head, both coloured
with a deep blue, enforce the idea of something oppressing the boy.

    Last note.  The lady is carrying a candle which casts some light towards
the ghost.  It could be seen as her try to "elighten" the mistery behind
its real essence.  But I have to admit this meaning came explicitly to my
mind only when I saw the complete image, and it wasn't put into
deliberately.

Let me hear what were your thoughts about this image.
    Maurizio.