POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Mystery...Puzzled : Re: Mystery...Puzzled Server Time
4 May 2024 06:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mystery...Puzzled
From: James Moore
Date: 5 Aug 2003 21:05:01
Message: <web.3f305163d70267cbbba3f3b50@news.povray.org>
Thanks for all the comments everybody!

> James Moore obscured the dead face of the poser character, which helped a lot.

My original plan was to position the face completely out of the picture so
it's seen only in the reflection in the puzzle, but it made the hands seem
too 'godlike' and didn't really give a frame of reference to the
reflection.  I also played with the background alot, trying a black
background so the person almost faded away into it, but didn't really like
it.  I then tried a starfield, but it just looked too busy.  So I tried the
misty background and liked the way it fit in with the nebula in the puzzle.
 That's one of the things I love about povray - it's really easy to comment
out a few lines and experiment with different things.

> I think that the effect would be more powerful if the puzzle were much larger
> and if the creator had many more tools. He doesn't look very challenged to me
> at all.

I wanted to make the puzzle more complicated, but the macro I used in the
GIMP would only generate a 20x20 piece puzzle and I didn't really have the
time to do it by hand.