POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render! : Re: CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render!
From: Fuzzy
Date: 1 Aug 2003 03:00:03
Message: <web.3f2a0fb0e5126b67403117160@news.povray.org>
INVALID_ADDRESS wrote:
>(1) You will need a temporary file

I guessed as much :/

>(2) You should be happy about this: else the map(s) would have to be
>    recalculated at every test render, even if they don't change.

that much is true, though I would expect it to only be a tiny amount of
calculation time really compared to the entire thing...

>(3) It's possible to achieve such an on-the-fly creation of the maps
>    with a little animation that first creates the map(s)
<code snippet>
>    The main disadvances of this method are:
>    - all files have the same size and type
>    - the quality settings, antialias parameters etc. are the same
>      for all these files

That's quite a lot of disadvantages really, the worst one being the image
size... the point of me needing a parameterised texture creation method is
that, within the same rendering, I want to have different sizes of the same
object which, if using a texture mapped on, would require different sized
images to map on (as far as I know the cylindrical wrapping only wraps once
around the x axis, so I needed to create an image file wit enough holes for
one 'row' around the cylinder)

>(4) Using maps for holes doesn't create correct shape, shadows and
>    reflections of the walls in the holes. Animation with realistic
>    deep holes is impossible.

shadows I did notice were rough... as for 'deep' holes, I'm not sure I know
what you mean, as I mapped my texture to an outer cylinder and to an inner
one, the holes gained depth from the distance between the two cylinders.

>(5) CSG isn't as slow as you think! I've made a cylindrical sieve with
>    FIVE THOUSAND holes. They required less than 26 MINUTES for 640*480

then it's obvious that I'm doing something very wrong (hopefully) :)

When I tried the CSG without assigning a texture to the cylinders making the
holes the holes just turned out black, so I assigned rgbt <1,1,1,1> to the
smaller cylinders... and since I'm using Polished_Chrome on the main
cylinder... this might not be a good idea.

What I'll try first, as someone suggested, is to have shorter cylinders that
ONLY punch out the hole, and that don't cross over in the middle to punch
out the opposing hole on the other side too - my guess is that the crossing
over of them is throwing things off somewhere...

*looks around at the POVray swimming pool... maybe I should have tried to
climb in down at the shallow end instead of jumping in here... ah well...
too late now* ;)

Fuzzy