POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render! : Re: CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render!
From: Fuzzy
Date: 31 Jul 2003 05:10:01
Message: <web.3f28dc24e5126b67403117160@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:
>If you ever try to construct an object that has a lot of holes in
>POVRay, you'll find that it renders incredibly slowly. My Holes Tutorial
>attempts to explain why this happens and suggests something that you
>might be able to do about it.

Ooh, thanks... but (since I hit google for a day or two before asking in
here ;) I'd already read that page and I don't think it'd help me much in
this particular case unfortunately.

The example you give works fine for boxes with holes in, as they can be
bounded, but for a cylinder the only bounding that can be done is across
the whole shape IIRC.

Since I know that using CSG to cut holes is slow I was trying to find a way
to 'cheat' instead and to get the same effect but using a texture, if it's
possible (which it must be, *anything* is possible in POV one way or
another ;)

The only way I found out was to use an image with the 'hole' drawn in the
alpha channel and then repeatedly map that where I want it, but I want the
ability to alter the shape of the holes without having to have loads of
jpegs pre-drawn :(

Fuzzy