POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render! : CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  CSG shape with many 'holes' takes *forever* to render!
From: Fuzzy
Date: 30 Jul 2003 15:00:01
Message: <web.3f28155bfd97fdff403117160@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I've created a cylinder with a difference taken from it of many smaller
cylinders to punch 'holes' into the surface and it takes *forever* to
render...
at quality 1 it took just over 7 HOURS to render a very simple image at only
640x480!  (this is using 676 cutout cylinders to make 1352 'holes', as the
smaller cylinders were extended larger than the diameter of the main
cylinder to require half as many :)

I've started another run at quality 9... it's taken 6 hours so far and is
only up to line 99 of 480...

I know that CSG is slow but... :)

I think if I did the 'holes' as a texture map instead then it would be a LOT
faster, but is there any way to create a texture on the fly within pov,
rather than having to create some jpg or other to use as a filter?

(I want to be able to do it on the fly as I want to be able to change the
shape of the holes, cylinders was only going to be the start...)

Fuzzy