POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Terragen-style landscapes. : Re: Terragen-style landscapes. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Terragen-style landscapes.
From: gonzo
Date: 29 Jul 2003 17:30:02
Message: <web.3f26e66bda2cdc23a0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Josh wrote:
>Anyone know of any tutorials which can provide examples about how one can go
>about taking a heightmap and basically plugging it into PovRay and almost
>magically getting out decent landscapes with only a little tweaking, like
>one can with Terragen?

Well, as Gilles said, a large part of Terragen images is the atmosphere. But
if you are just trying to get a height_field to look like a Terragen
landscape then look at layered textures.

If you look in the texture editor in Terragen and see how it layers its
colors by altitude & slope, then you should get a pretty good idea how to
achieve this in POV, since you can create both altitude & slope gradients
in POV as well. (And some more types that Terragen can't do...)

Still, it's not a simple task... I've been trying for a few months and still
only have a couple of really usable textures :-(

Your wish for a magical result with only a little tweaking is probably not
possible.

RG