POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : alpha masking (again?) : Re: alpha masking (again?) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha masking (again?)
From: Tony LaVigne
Date: 18 Jul 2003 00:35:01
Message: <web.3f17780c99e8fcb7a6cd6ab90@news.povray.org>
Michael,
I know what you mean when you set the back ground to an unnatural color
(like [0 1 0]  ) in the hopes of filtering it out later only to find it
bled into the sides of your aliased images.
   One method that worked for me was  to double or triple the lengths and
widths
of the image size and not use anti-aliasing (is that a double negative?).
This does yield a much larger image (4 or 9 times larger) but with
anti-aliasing off it's surprisingly fast.  I then filtered out the
background and averaged 4 (if lengths and width doubled) adjacent pixels to
give me one useable pixel for my image.  If one or more pixels is part of
the background you can use your new background instead or leave it out in
your averaging or do some other creative processing for it.  This will
reduce the image length and width down to your originally targeted size.
The down size is your post processing your POVRAY rendered images but it
sounds like you were doing that already.
Just a thought. If you find another solution please let us know.
Tony

xen### [at] xenomechanicscom