POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : cracked glass: interface between pieces looks black : cracked glass: interface between pieces looks black Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  cracked glass: interface between pieces looks black
From: oldmicah
Date: 17 Jul 2003 22:15:01
Message: <web.3f175787a9275eec9cfc34200@news.povray.org>
Hello,

  Since the newsgroup is pretty much batting a 1000 with my questions, I
thought I'd throw another one out.

  I'm trying to simulate a pair of glasses with a cracked lens.  My first
thought was to split the lens into several pieces, and then, when put
together, they would nicely simulate the broken glass of the lens.  The
problem is that in the intersection between the pieces, I'm getting a black
area in my rendering.  Reading another post, I first tried overlapping the
two pieces, and then tried separating them with a space, and finally tried
putting them flush.  All three yeilded the black area in the interface.

image here: http://homepage.mac.com/sstrange/POV/glasses.jpg
(thinking it might be an artifact of the dark grey ground) partial image w.
white ground here: http://homepage.mac.com/sstrange/POV/glasses2.jpg

#declare Lens=
  intersection{
    sphere{<0,-5,0>, 8}
    sphere{<0,5,0>, 8}
    scale 0.16
    texture{Glass3}
    //finish{ambient 0.3}
 }

#declare CrackedLens=
  union{
     difference {
   object{Lens}
   box{<-8,-8,-8> <-.001,8,8>}
   }
     difference {
   object{Lens}
   box{<.001,8,8> <8,8,8>}
   }
 }

  Am I missing something obvious or is there a better way to simulate
cracked glass?

 as always, many thanks,
Steven