POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : area_light looks like a point light : area_light looks like a point light Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  area_light looks like a point light
From: oldmicah
Date: 15 Jul 2003 18:50:01
Message: <web.3f14840fae9fae549cfc34200@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to model one of those lights put above paintings: basically, a
flourescent tube inside of a 'c' cross sectioned piece of brass.  My idea
was to use an area light on the x-z plane to simulate this light and then
make it look_like an ambient cylinder.

The problem that I'm running into is that it doesn't look like the area
light is working at all.  I get a single high light in my shiny picture
frame and I'm only getting illumination on the picture from the center of
the bulb.  i.e.
it looks like I'm not doing a point light rather than an area light.  My
light code looks like this:

#local halfw=.5;
#local framewidth=.025;
#local wallthickness=(framewidth*2/25);

light_source { < 0, halfh+framewidth, -framewidth*4>  color Gray50
 area_light x*((2*halfw) - (2*wallthickness)), z*framewidth, 10, 10
        } //light_source

image here: http://homepage.mac.com/sstrange/POV/libraryatnight3.jpg
full code here: http://homepage.mac.com/sstrange/POV/pictureframe.inc

As always, apologies if I'm missing something really, really obvious.

thanks,
Steven