POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Sphere_Sweep help! : Re: Sphere_Sweep help! Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sphere_Sweep help!
From: Chris Amshey
Date: 22 Jun 2003 05:20:01
Message: <web.3ef573afe077244361b99e900@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
>"Sean Sabbage" <sab### [at] btinternetcom> wrote in message
>news:BAEC1363.23E22%sab### [at] btinternetcom...
>> Attempt to malloc zero size block (File: sphsweep.cpp Line: 1613).
>>

> Hi, I'm not sure what the above error actually means, but I think
>yes, you should specify 4 spheres for a cubic_spline, and 4 lines of
>parameters, here's a golden worm-like thingy:

It means there's a (minor) bug in the code. POVray failed to recognize that
the cubic_spline was short by a required argument, did the math anyway, came
up with a spline of 0 length, attempted to allocate 0 bytes of memory to
store information about the 0-length path... and then did nothing else.

The warning message is not a standard C warning message, so somebody in The
Team
was clever enough to put that warning into an allocation routine or macro so
that errors like that would be caught and fixed, hopefully before doing any
real damage... (knock on wood...;))

--Chris