POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : assumed_gamma : Re: assumed_gamma Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma
From: Matti Karnaattu
Date: 31 May 2003 09:30:01
Message: <web.3ed8adbc30667e1884d065310@news.povray.org>
>"For new scenes, you should use an assumed gamma value of 1.0 as this models
>how light appears in the real world more realistically."

>So is there a preferred setting?  I've noticed that with assumed_gamma 1.0,
>I end up having textures with extremely low rgb values (< 0.1), just to get
>the texture dark enough.  I've also noticed that the T_Wood textures
>generally look really bad at assumed_gamma 1.0 under most lighting
>conditions.

If you set both display and assumed gamma to 1.0, POV-Ray does not make any
gamma correction to images. It means that final image pixel rgb values are
values you use. To gamma correct image, put your monitor gamma to display
gamma. This is needed to correct your image brightness because monitors
show lower intensities too dark.

Matti